FTP Software

JOIN Project Team JOIN Project Team <join@uni-muenster.de>
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:26:01 +0100 (MEZ)

Hello,

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Tom Eastgard wrote:

> I thought I had a commitment from them to call with status and possibly
> beta software this summer but never heard, so I'm not sure they're
> serious about it.  Please let me know if you do make successful contact.

> On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Aad van der Zanden wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After several serious attempts ( 3 emails , 2 voicemailmessages ) &
> > One pager call, I have still not managed to get the product manager
> > for Onnet32 and IPv6 from FTP software.
> >
> > Is there anyone out there on the 6bone that could provide me with answers
> > to questions like:
> >
> > 1) Is FTP software (Onnet32)& IPv6 still moving ahead with EUI64 support.
> > 2) And does it actually work...

We used for our JOIN-Project (http://www.join.uni-muenster.de) the
IPv6-Stack from FTP-Software, which is distributed with the "Secure Client
3.0" software. The Onnet32 software is not sufficient. So far there is no
support for EUI64 included and there are some other shortcomings not
conforming to the current IPv6 standard, because the software was released
early 1997.

> > We have bought three sets of Onnet32 but haven't been able to get an IPv6
> > ping to respond
> > Not very promising, right? Who knows more?..
> >
> > Regards
> > 	Aad.

We contacted Vincent James, the European trade representative, and
he gave us some additional information. There will be a new Version 3.5 of
"Secure Client" in early 1998, with large improvements in the IPv6 support
and for questions regarding IPv6 you should contact Mr. Chip Sparling,
chip@ftp.com, Product Manager at FTP Software.

The biggest problem we discovered in using the software was the incorrect
behavior of name resolution for AAAA records and most programs, except
ping, are not yet ported to accept IPv6 addresses. The IPv6 Stack is quite
complete but with shortcomings in some areas. A detailed test overwiew can
be found on our Web-Site at

http://www.join.uni-muenster.de/JOIN/ipv6/texte-englisch/tests/hosts-1/index.html

Comments are welcome.

Best regards,
     Manfred

JOIN -- IP Version 6 in the WiN   Manfred Sand
        A project of DFN          Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster
Project Team email:               Universitaetsrechenzentrum
           join@uni-muenster.de   Einsteinstrasse 60
http://www.join.uni-muenster.de   D-48149 Muenster / Germany

phone: +49 251 83 31636, fax: +49 251 83 31653, email: sand@uni-muenster.de