ipv6 Prefix and local adress

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 07:26:50 -0700 (PDT)

>     >>  Hello, someone at isi gave me the prefix : 5fbc:1000::0/32
>     >> should this be the prefix of my local ipv6 adress too ?
>     >> another question.  Can someone explain me the following
>     >> adresses : - my ipv6 adress - a link ipv6 adress (entry of
>     >> tunnel) - a link ipv6 adress (end of tunnel) - the tunnel
>     >> endpoint ipv6 adress
>     >>
>     >> Peace
>     >>
>     >> Hamdi
>
>     Bill> Er, no. That is my prefix.  Your prefix should be created
>     Bill> using the methods specified in the rfcs. The tunnel
>     Bill> endpoints are calculated based on the prefix in use.
>
> Bill, you could delegate him a /64 out of your /32...
> If he is going to connect to you there is no reason why he should use
> it own prefix, i believe.
>
>   Pedro.

True, although the current model for address allocation is not aggregatable
outside the AS.  And since he is not within my AS and we are not yet ready to
transition to the proposed alternate format, I am not willing to carve out
a chunk of space for him from my block(s).  This is more for the upstream
reporting than anything else.  And there is every likleyhood that he will
connect elsewhere (punching a hole in the block).

--
--bill