new addressing plan

Alain Durand Alain.Durand@imag.fr
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:04:35 +0200

On Jun 10,  3:22pm, Pedro Marques wrote:
> Subject: Re: new addressing plan
> But anyway from the sample on the mailing list it seams people prefer a
> registry delegation based scheme to an automatic one...

Pedro,

automatic allocation was fine when we started the 6-bone. At the time, there
was only a small registry, the RIPE databased. This automatic allocation
allowed everybody to start quickly a small IPv6 tesbed and then try to
connect to the 6-bone.

Now, it's a different game. The 6-bone is there, we have a registry.
One of the goal of the 6-bone (as a group) is to simulate IPv6 providers
to test the new addressing plan. I'd rather like to see the registry allocating
new prefixes to core nodes and those sites re-allocating longer prefixes to
transit & leaf nodes
We could then test site renumbering, provider renumbering, aggregation, etc...

To do that, there is no need to use AS nubers nor IPv4 numbers to build
v6 addreses. I think we can rely on our registry and some sub-registries
to do the work.

	- Alain.