ipv6 Prefix and local adress

Conta, Alex AConta@lucent.com
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 19:24:07 -0400

> Hello,
> someone at isi gave me the prefix : 5fbc:1000::0/32
> should this be the prefix of my local ipv6 adress too ?

No the prefix of your link local address is a predefined hardcoded
value:

	FFFE:8000::0/18

This looks like a global prefix so this should be used to build your
interface's global IPv6
address - append the MAC address to it, for instance for a
	0a:0b:0c:0d:0e:0f
MAC address the resulting IPv6 address would be:
	5fbc:1000::0a:0b:0c:0d:0e:0f

> another question.
> Can someone explain me the following adresses :
> - my ipv6 adress

See above

> - a link ipv6 adress (entry of tunnel)
> - a link ipv6 adress (end of tunnel)
> - the tunnel endpoint ipv6 adress

A tunnel interface is a pseudo interface that has as parameters a pair
of IPv6 addresses
(corresponding to the tunnel entry point node and tunnel exit point
node). The pseudo-interface
is layered on the top of a real interface.

A tunnel's entry point IPv6 address is one of the underlying interface's
IPv6 addresses.
This is the address that will be filled as IPv6 source address in the
tunnel header.

A tunnel's exit point address is remote node IPv6 address. It is filled
in as destination IPv6 address in the tunnel IPv6 address. On transmit
the tunnel packets are send to the
tunnel exit point node address, and thus forwarded to the next hop
router that would route the
packet to its destination.

I hope this helps,
Alex

> Peace
>
> Hamdi

Alex Conta     aconta@lucent.com     Tel: 508/287-9000/ext 2842    Fax:
508/287-2810
Lucent Technologies, Inc.   300 Baker Ave., Concord, MA 01742