new addressing plan

Alain Durand Alain.Durand@imag.fr
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:50:06 +0200

On Jun 9, 10:56am, davidk@ISI.EDU wrote:
> Subject: Re: new addressing plan
>
> I can start assigning prefixes anytime as long as people tell me how to
> do it. We have Bob's draft ideas but nobody really commented so far ...

I think the proposed algorithm is ok enough to start.

There is an assumption that we can not implement this addressing plan
till new application with 64 bit IDs are avalaible. I think we can still
assign prefixes before that time and see what is going on.
In the meantime, we 'just' have not to use the 16 extra id bits.

What we can do is to assign 8bits NLA1 to core site asking for a
core prefix. This is 255 core prefixes, more than enough.
Those sites will then assign longer prefixes to leaf sites and transit
sites.
How do we assign those numbers? well the +1 algorithm sounds reasonable to me.

I'm now ready to get a /24 prefix for G6.

	- Alain.