tunnel request

Jimmy Kyriannis jimmy.kyriannis@nyu.edu
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 17:49:01 -0500

At 5:23 AM -0500 1/7/97, Alain Durand wrote:
>This is something we discussed in San Jose meeting.
>RFC1897 says:
>       This is the current autonomous system number assigned to the
>       provider providing internet service to the an IPv6 testers
>       organization.
>

>It is currently undestood as your IPv4 provider AS, but we'd like to change
>that
>to allow you to use your IPv6 provider AS number (i.e. your 6bone contact)
>if you like to. This might be very usefull if/when we'll try to reshape
>the 6-bone.
>
>	- Alain.

If reshaping the 6bone is emminent, to be more in line with the
provider-based addressing hierarchy of IPv6, then it would seem that it's
best to recommend that new connections use the AS numbers of their 6bone
providers.  As the 6bone grows, propagation of IPv4-based provider numbers
now will mean more renumbering in the future - but, renumbering's not
supposed to be a big deal under IPv6.  :)

Jimmy