DNS domain for 6bone?

Bob Fink LBNL RLFink@lbl.gov
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 07:11:43 -0800

Erich,

Though this sounds neat from a PR point of view, it goes against the way
the Internet is structured today.  It takes many nets and sites to make up
the Internet, and each has its own identity.  That identity shouldn't
really be any different that their current identity.

It also implies some central name registry dealing with the name and number
space for everyone and I sure don't want to be in that business.

Also, it implies that IPv6 is somehow different (and very externally
visible) than IPv4.  From my point of view, IPv6 will succeed when people
use it and haven't a clue that they are using it.  That is, it is literally
an automatic thing that happens well below their high level view of the
Internet.

I prattle on...others will certainly have an opinion, and it may certainly
be different than mine.

Thanks for bringing it up as it is a point of view that should be discussed.

Bob