6bone connectivity

Dimitry Haskin dhaskin@baynetworks.com
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 12:00:51 -0500

Falks,

We're currently experience a very pure 6bone connectivity.
I think that the current situation is quite detrimental
to 6bone effort. IMO, the main problem is that some/all core
routers still use static routing to route between themselves.
This leads to routing loops as well as to blackholing traffic to
disabled routers even if an alternative path is available.

To improve 6bone routing I propose to adopt the following
policies:

- restrict the backbone sites to only those routers that
  support RIPng;

- make the backbone routers to use exclusively RIPng to
  route between themselves;

- the backbone routers can use static routes only to route
  to their leaf clients;

- the backbone routers should not advertise default prefixes
  (e.g. ::0/0 5f00::/16) between themselves.  It is ok
  to advertise default prefixes to leaf clients;

- each backbone router should maintain a RIPng tunnel with
  two or more other backbone routers.

I think these, I hope, not too restrictive rules will improve
overall 6bone connectivity as well as make lives router
administrators easier.

Dimitry