MX/AAAA problems

Matt Crawford crawdad@fnal.gov
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 16:19:26 -0500

> On Apr 29,  8:36am, Bob Fink wrote:
> > Thanks for the explanation.  Does anyone have a clue as to the pathology of
> > the failure in dns code (or wherever) so we can blow a whistle on this
> > quick?

I didn't find anything wrong in a current sendmail source.  And my
desktop has had a AAAA RR for quite some time now, without a special
sub-zone to hold it.

> Some old secondary servers seeing AAAA records think the whole zone
> is invalid and refuse to tranfer it.

And the last time I delved into bind, the named-xfer program that did
a zone transfer for a secondary server created a text-format file, so
it couldn't accept any new RR type it didn't know about.  Ugh.  I
hope that's been fixed.

> The ipv6 subdomain trick is only a short term patch. Hopefully people
> will upgrade to more recent releases of bind soon enough.

And running into these problems is success for the 6bone, not failure.

				Matt