CAIRN & IPv6

Bob Fink RLFink@lbl.gov
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:53:54 -0700

Anders,

At 1:21 PM -0700 4/28/97, Anders Fernstedt wrote:
>Bob,
>
>Could you give me a quick brief of CAIRNs commitment/involvement in the
>6bone. I missed the Memphis meeting, where I think Allison gave some form of
>briefing...

No more than was in the minutes (see below).  I would like Allison to
provide more information so we can all see what the real plans might/could
be.

I'll copy here on this to let her have the chance to put out something out
to the mailer.

>PS Are there any real-time trials planned to your knowledge?

How do you mean this:  real-time systems or testing in real-time?

Thanks,

Bob

----------------from the 6bone WG minutes:

2. CAIRN Backbone / Allison Mankin

Allison Mankin presented her ideas for a native IPv6 backbone using the
CAIRN research backbone network.

- High bandwidth backbone for research, etc. (U.S. federal funding)

- A diagram of the CAIRN topology was shown:
    + connectivity ranges from DS-3 to full OC-3.
    + several current v6 sites are CAIRN sites (ISI, LBL...)
    + each site has a PC/FreeBSD router and/or an Ascend GRL w/v6 support

- Proposed possibilities for the backbone included:
    + Transit bandwidth service with native IPv6 unicast
    + Native IPv6 multicast path
    + V6 peering/exchange points
    + Experimental clearinghouse
    + Software distribution center

Jim Bound commented that it was important for CAIRN's IPv6 implementation to
use UNH interop lab/events to make sure there is proper interoperability
before
direct connectivity is attempted.  Allison expressed her desire to join in
the UNH testing.

Further discussion was deferred to the mail list.

-end