6Bone meeting follow up

Bob Fink RLFink@lbl.gov
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:47:53 -0700

Hsin,

At 2:43 PM -0700 4/28/97, Hsin Fang wrote:
>Hi Bob:
>
>Several people approached me after 6Bone meeting to show their interest
>in "virtual provider based address" scheme. I would like to hear your opinion
>for whether should I write a quick draft.  Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>Hsin

As you probably saw in my 6bone action items list from Memphis, I had hoped
to elicit comments over the mail list on your proposal (aee A2 below).

I am basically enthusiastic about your proposal.  My only hesitition was
that we should be moving to a new "aggregation-based" test address format
based on the Memphis IPng WG meeting (as soon as Bob Hinden writes up the
draft).  This does exactly what you propose, just in the new format under
the 6bone test allocation.

Thus my question is, is it worth trying to go through renumbering under the
current format (reworked per your proposal) and then go through it again
with the new test address?

However, there may be issues (e.g., conversion to EUI-64 for host id) that
may slow down the move to the new format, thus making it more reasonable to
do your change for the interim.

I'll copy this to the list in the hopes of getting some broader-based
conversation on it.

Thanks for bringing it up...and thanks for the ideas and presentation in
Memphis.

Bob

====