secondary name server that understands AAAA records

Matt Crawford crawdad@fnal.gov
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 14:48:21 -0500

> Before adding AAAA records to my name server I started wondering
> just what my secondary was going to do when it got AAAA records
> in the zone transfers.

After a couple of years without a peek in the BIND source code, I
was shocked and dismayed last week to see that named-xfer uses a
text-based intermediate file.  This means that even though a
non-authoritative server will correctly cache RRs it doesn't
understand, a secondary server won't get them.
Matt Crawford          crawdad@fnal.gov          Fermilab
  PGP: D5 27 83 7A 25 25 7D FB  09 3C BA 33 71 C4 DA 6A