setting a 6bone BOF agenda for San Jose

Bob Fink LBNL RLFink@lbl.gov
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:59:12 -0800

6bone folk:

I'd like to get some consensus on an agenda for the 6bone BOF in San Jose.

Below are Alain Durand's suggestions.

Please send all ideas/suggestions to the mailer (not to me) so we can all
see and discuss what is worth covering in San Jose.

Thanks,

Bob

From: "Alain Durand" <Alain.Durand@imag.fr>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:59:07 +0100
To: Bob Fink LBNL <RLFink@lbl.gov>
Subject: agenda of the 6-bone BOF

Hi bob,

I have a list of topics I would like to discuss during the 6-bone bof.
I'm not sure if we'll have time to discuss each one as there might be some
more important issues and our timeframe is limited.
Some of those topics have already been discussed by mail without reaching
a real consensus, I hope the large bandwith provided by the IETF meeting
will help us to solve some issues. If it works it will be a good point
for the the creation of a WG.

- RIPE registry
  * database clean up
  * new syntax & new entries (some important infos are missing)
        - experimental tunnels
        - IPv6 endpoints
        - speed/reliability of tunnels
        - sub-tunnels (tunnels to a subset of a site)
        - existence of a routing protocol
        - site carrying full routing table
  * database sanity check

- 6-bone topology
  * comments on the current topology
  * how to add new tunnels ?
  * should we go to a full mesh of core routers?

- map of the 6-bone
   * usefullness of various maps
   * full maps, sub-maps...

- dynamic routing
   * is it needed at the scale of the 6-bone?
   * is RIPng suitable?
   * experiences with other routing protocols?

- Addresses
   * limitations of RFC1897
   * could we try something else?
   * what about "real" IPv6 addresses ?