How to configure a tunnel

Masaki Hirabaru masaki@merit.edu
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:16:39 -0400

Hi. 6bone folks,

My question was:
> Hi. I'd like to know how to configure a tunnel to 6bone or which
> implementation freely available supports configured tunneling.

The answers are:
INRIA, NRL, and Linux versions support configured tunneling.
Solaris version seems not to support it now.

So, I'm going to figure out how to configure it under INRIA
version we've currently installed. I'm asking Francis Dupont.

>> |   (...) Craig Labovitz and I at Merit are much interested in
>> |   joining 6bone in order to run MRT (Multi-threaded Routing
>> |   Toolkit), which supports RIPng now, under real & wider v6
>> |   environment.
>>
>> ====BT: Fine. Is your code freely available to play with ?

If you are interested, please see http://compute.merit.edu/mrt/.
Yes, it's freely available. The current released version has
implemented the basic part of ripng, and the next release will
have a lot of improvements.

Thank you for responding my query. The following is its summary.

Masaki Hirabaru
Merit
---

Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 01:56:47 +0100
From: Pedro Roque Marques <roque@di.fc.ul.pt>

I know that both NRL and Linux support configured tunneling.
On Linux you have to bring the tunneling device up and then just do
route add prefix gw ::ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd

(the tunnel device just needs an ifconfig up, it will try to detect
your v4 addresses and configure them as v4-compat)

./Pedro.

From: Bernard.Tuy@urec.fr
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 11:22:20 +0200

====BT: Yes it does! since we -G6/France- and some others right now are
	running it for that purpose.

  +Bernard Tuy.
    G6/France

From: Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 17:16:56 +0200

=> according to my G6 colleagues, the Solaris implementation
doesn't support configured tunneling (exactly the routed
prefix must be an IPv4-compatible one).

=> My implementations support both automatic (via a direct cloning
route for the ::/96 prefix) and configured tunnels (just create
a route with an IPv4-compatible gateway).

Thanks

Francis.Dupont@inria.fr