RIPng

bound@zk3.dec.com bound@zk3.dec.com
Thu, 01 Aug 96 10:54:07 -0400

Cool.  Good point about the language thats my error and I apologize for
that.

>Basically i think people are discussing problems that there is no need
>to solve now. I believe we should concentrate on getting the basic
>working and then build the rest of the building. I only have one
>implementation other than my own here, so i cannot comment from first
>hand knowledge, but the comments i hear is that most implementations
>are still on very raw state.

Lets be careful on the 6bone.  "raw state" to get on the 6bone and do
Internet.  Several of the implementations are very mature using IPv6 and
all the specs associated with this new protocol.  I know we have over 40
users banging on our implementation now.  Yes its raw for the 6bone work
but not raw.  Don't forget some of us have stacks that have been
maturing for 3 years since sip 8byte proposal and have learned a lot of
engineering knowledge for the kernel, transition, and the application
interface.  But the 6bone is raw but I think we can evolve quickly and
make it medium (as opposed to well done).

As far as you not getting to the bake-offs.  UNH does have a policy if
you are a pure academic environment they can arrange for you to
participate without joining the consortia.  The other good news I have for
you is I talked to our Director of Alpha Linux at Digital and he is
going to help me get you an Alpha in Lisbon if you want it?
Also I am willing to put your machine up and test it for you at the next
bake-off to as I think Linux is real important to IPv6 with the user
base I see evolving.  As I know travel for some is also too expensive.

>To give you the example i know off, it is not very interesstening to
>have a machine capable of RIPng but not capable of configured
>tunneling, that can't delete routes, has random source address
>selection and so on. I'm not complaining, they do a better job than i
>do in some aspects ...

Again please be careful with the words interesting.  If we have routers
that can run pure IPv6 and need to get tunneling working I still think
its interesting that engineers built IPv6 on routers already.  I agree
they need to now do tunnels rip-to-rip a.s.a.p. but they are still
interesting.  For example I want to build a pure IPv6 subnet behind our
Internet tunnel and on our host take IPv6 packets and inject them onto
an IPv6 link via an IPv6 router where the nodes on that link only speak
IPv6 (IPv4 is there but for testing just use IPv6).  That to me is
interesting.  I also hope (big hope) to test our anycast spec on this
subnet to as the in_pcb changes I checked out are minimal and the
transport ones too at least for prototyping anyway.

/jim