RIPng

Pedro Roque Marques roque@di.fc.ul.pt
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:59:01 +0100

    Jim> And I am listening more to people who are sending packets on
    Jim> the network and doing this real time than the theories to get
    Jim> this up and running.  ESPECIALLY IF THEY TELL SOMEONE WORKING
    Jim> THEIR BUTT OFF THAT THEIR IDEA IS TERRIBLE (they almost got a
    Jim> real flameagram from me on that one).

You have every right to flame, Jim. Although i didn't ment the
interpretation that the phrase got i recognise that was a very bad
choice of words and i would like give you my public apologies for
that. I ask you to consider that for a non native english speaker it
is sometimes hard to know the intensity of an expression.

I still think that it is not the way to go. Please disregard the first
sentence in that mail and consider the rest of it.

    Jim> And I have respect for those who were at the bake-off and ran
    Jim> real code under test with other implementations than those
    Jim> who did not.

My stuff is working, although i constantly find new problems with it
every day. As we have no money to participate in the IOL consortium
the only testing we can do is via the 6bone. Everybody has been very
cooperative there and we're making good progress.

Basically i think people are discussing problems that there is no need
to solve now. I believe we should concentrate on getting the basic
working and then build the rest of the building. I only have one
implementation other than my own here, so i cannot comment from first
hand knowledge, but the comments i hear is that most implementations
are still on very raw state.

To give you the example i know off, it is not very interesstening to
have a machine capable of RIPng but not capable of configured
tunneling, that can't delete routes, has random source address
selection and so on. I'm not complaining, they do a better job than i
do in some aspects ...

regards,
  Pedro.