6bone at ISI

Mike Carlton carlton@ISI.EDU
Tue, 02 Apr 96 15:16:02 PST

In another message, Jim Bound asks:

> What about the U.S?  How do we get this started?  Do we need to
> request money for ISI or Lawerence at Berkeley?  ????   How do we do
> that?
>
> How about if we send mail to V.P. Al Gore and Senator Patrick Lehaey? I am
> not kidding?????????????
>
> Mike Carlton?  Whats the word at ISI???????????

I've spoken with Jon Postel and he is willing to have ISI manage
(or whatever the right term is) the US portion of the 6bone.

For now, I'm willing (and able) to take on the role here, but as the
6bone becomes more widespread (and the time required goes up) we will
need to check into obtaining funding and explicitly allocating someone
to support the network.  I've spoken with Steve Casner about his
experience with the Mbone and he indicated that it required a fair
amount of effort as it grew.

On a different note, new or interested subscribers to the 6bone list are
sent a short blurb describing the list.  Currently it reads:
	The 6bone list is for the discussion of the development of the
	initial IPv6 network.

Before widely advertising the list, we probably want to update that.
Maybe we can abstract the charter documents?

cheers,
--mike