[6bone] Cisco IPv6 configuration issues

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Wed May 3 01:07:41 PDT 2006

I'm moving our v6 network to our Ciscos but, I'm having serious problems.

router#sh ver
IOS (tm) RSP Software (RSP-JSV-M), Version 12.3(12a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Using the following config:

interface ATM0/0
 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.224
 ip flow ingress
 ip route-cache flow
 atm pvc 1 0 5 qsaal
 atm pvc 2 0 16 ilmi
 atm uni-version 3.1
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 ipv6 address 2001:4F0:xxxx::13/64
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 cef
 lane config-atm-address C5.007900000000000000000000.00A03E000001.00
 lane client ethernet xxxx

I wind up with the following:

#sh ipv6 interface
ATM0/0 is up, line protocol is up
  IPv6 is enabled, link-local address is FE80::260:3EFF:FE09:7820
  Global unicast address(es):
    2001:4F0:xxxx::13, subnet is 2001:4F0:xxxx::/64 [TENTATIVE]
  Joined group address(es):
    FF02::1
    FF02::2
    FF02::5
    FF02::1:FF00:13
    FF02::1:FF09:7820
  MTU is 1500 bytes
  ICMP error messages limited to one every 100 milliseconds
  ICMP redirects are enabled
  ND DAD is enabled, number of DAD attempts: 1
  ND reachable time is 30000 milliseconds
  Hosts use stateless autoconfig for addresses.

The problem is that the IPv6 addresses keep going into [TENTATIVE] state.  I
don't need IOS to try to second guess me about address duplicates.  I can't seem
to disable the duplicate address detection though.  When I configure the address,
it will work for a minute or so and then, it goes into [TENTATIVE] state which
of course, makes it not work.  It will cycle in and out of [TENTATIVE] state
every once in a while but, it's down more often than not.

I've tried "ipv6 nd dad attempts 0" to disable DAD but, that doesn't seem to
do what I'm needing because even when DAD is disabled, the interface will go
into [TENTATIVE] state on the address I've configured.

Something to note:  This interface is running LANE.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

John