[6bone] 6bone phaseout countdown notification - 3 months until phaseout

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sun Mar 5 11:46:41 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 10:50 -0800, Robert Fink wrote:
> 6bone Operators & Users,
>
> Per RFC 3701, "6bone (IPv6 Testing Address Allocation) Phaseout", 3FFE
> prefixes only remain valid until June 6, 2006.
[..]

Checking my little GRH list @ http://noc.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/6bone/
it seems that quite a number of folks have apparently stopped announcing
their 6bone prefixes recently. They haven't been nice yet though to
actually mention that they would stop using them oddly enough. Could
folks be so nice to send a little mail to say thanks for using the
prefix and possibly a small description of things they did with it and
what positive and negative things they found out during their usage?

From the near-bottom of that page:
The database currently holds 144 IPv6 DFP's.
Of which 33 (22.92%) are returned to the pool,
         38 (26.39%) IPv6 DFP's didn't have a routing entry.
Thus     73 (50.69%) networks are currently announced.

So we are almost at half-way of shutting down the 6bone.

Greets,
 Jeroen