[6bone] return of 3FFE IPv6 address block per RFC 3701

Robert Fink bob at thefinks.com
Thu Jun 8 17:35:08 PDT 2006

Dear IANA,

Per RFC 3701, "6bone (IPv6 Testing Address Allocation) Phaseout", the
6bone IPv6 Testbed network has been phased out as of the 6th of June
2006.

Therefore, also per RFC 3701, the 3FFE::/16 prefix allocated by RFC
2471 for IPv6 testing, can now be reclaimed by the IANA.

To the best of my knowledge, 6bone operators are making active efforts
to stop further usage of the 3FFE prefix, and to filter where relevant
and necessary. Let us hope they are successful.

I hope we have honored our commitments to Jon Postel, who helped to
make the 6bone possible. Long may his memory live!

Regards,

Bob Fink
past project lead for the 6bone

===
>From RFC 3701:

6.  IANA Considerations

   This document defines a phaseout plan for the usage of the IPv6
   Testing Address Allocation [TEST-NEW].  The IANA MUST reclaim the
   3FFE::/16 prefix upon the date specified in section 2.0.

   When the 6bone Testing Address Allocation is reclaimed by the IANA,
   it is expected that many network operators will filter it on their
   borders to ensure these prefixes are not misused.

   There is experience from the IPv4 world that such filters may not be
   removed promptly should this address space be reallocated, and it is
   recommended that the IANA bears this in mind before reallocating it
   in a manner that would require it to be routed globally within the
   current Internet.
-end