[6bone] Good signs

Akira Kato kato at wide.ad.jp
Tue Jun 6 13:33:15 PDT 2006

> The hop #15 in trace #1 is just the peering LAN of LAAP (which is still
> in 6bone space, they don't get it that they should have renumbered long
> ago).

For honor of LAAP, it has already provided production address for the
IX fabric since many months ago. The 3ffe:80a::/32 still in use is
PAIX/Palo Alto. Mark Prior from AARNET wrote at least a couple of
times to PAIX to provide non-6bone space but I don't think he got a
response.

The peering with Abilene over PAIX/Palo Alto has been established for
more than 10 days. So the main reason of the route change was not due
to a fact that the peering still uses 6bone space. A couple of Abilene
routers (SNVA and DNVR) still uses the route via PAIX/Palo Alto to
reach us while other routers pick routes based on their own
preferences.

While the number of the hops increased, the RTT doesn't change a lot
(313ms vs 309ms -- average of the three measurements).

-- Akira Kato, WIDE Project