[6bone] An IPv6 pilot project

Tim Bosserman tboss at research.earthlink.net
Mon May 2 12:31:27 PDT 2005

EarthLink R&D has been working for some time on a pilot project for
bringing IPv6 "to the home".  Toward that end, we have hacked the
open-source firmware of the Linksys WRT54G wireless access point and
turned the WRT54G into an IPv6 router.  We are now making our customized
firmware available for download, and are allowing interested users to have
a /64 network delegated to them via DHCPv6.

Essentially, this is how it works:

Using our customized firmware, at boot time the WRT54G will create an
IPSEC tunnel to a router in our lab.  We aren't using IPSEC for
encryption, just for authenticating the session (using IPSEC
"Authenticated Header" mode).  Once the IPSEC tunnel is established, the
WRT54G then uses DHCPv6 to get the /64 network prefix allocated to it over
the IPSEC tunnel.  The WRT54G then advertises that prefix on the local LAN
(both wired and wireless) and acts as an IPv6 router for all nodes on the
LAN.

For more information, refer to:

http://www.research.earthlink.net/ipv6/

Strictly speaking this may be somewhat off-topic for this mailing list,
but I thought some folks on this list might find this of interest.

--
Tim Bosserman
EarthLink R&D