[6bone] Network Address translation question

Stig Venaas Stig.Venaas at uninett.no
Thu Jun 23 07:50:01 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 03:42:51PM +0200, Stig Venaas wrote:
> No idea. Don't know if any implementations allow it, and how is
> implementation dependent. Would be quite interesting to know how
> much of 3484 is implemented in different systems, and also how
> to change policy if possible.
>
> The most likely to have a way of installing policy is perhaps XP.

I got the information below from Alan Ford <ajf101 at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
who is not on this list but. If you can help complete the survey,
please mail him (or me and I will feed it back to him).

Stig

Operating systems supporting Address Selection Policy Tables, and how
to do it:

FreeBSD 5.x: ip6addrctl(8), from KAME.

    ip6addrctl show
    ip6addrctl add PREFIX PRECEDENCE LABEL
    ip6addrctl delete PREFIX

Note: I can't get this to work, just trying to show the current table
bales out with "sysctl(IPV6CTL_ADDRCTLPOLICY): Bad address" to me.

Note: This is NOT included in FreeBSD 4.x, NOR in OS X 10.4.

Solaris (10, maybe earlier?): ipaddrsel

  Make a config file of:

    PREFIX	PRECEDENCE	LABEL
 eg ::1/128		50		Loopback

  And run:

    ipaddrsel -f /etc/inet/ipaddrsel.conf

  To show:
    ipaddrsel

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4554/6maoq01pe?a=view

Windows XP:

    C:\WINDOWS> netsh interface ipv6
    > show prefixpolicy
    > add prefixpolicy PREFIX PRECEDENCE LABEL
    > delete prefixpolicy PREFIX

Linux:

    As far as I know, nothing is implemented by standard.