[6bone] Network Address translation question

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 13 02:09:37 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:08:37AM +0200, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

> The site-local address was deprecated because of unclear notion of what is
> site. A new type local address can be used: ULA -
> Unique Local Addresses -
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-09.txt

Well, more to do with the ambiguity of the addresses (non-uniqueness).
The two new ULA drafts offer menthods to guarantee or near guarantee that
property.   They don't resolve the address leakage issue though.

> Why do you need this? What purpose? Take a look at the Network
> Architecture protection draft at:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt

With IPv6, you can run ULAs and globals side by side, if you wish, though
this hasn't exactly been widely tested as yet, as far as I'm aware.

--
Tim/::1