[6bone] AS1275 / 3ffe:400::/24 going offline

Christian Schild join at uni-muenster.de
Tue Jun 7 00:10:16 PDT 2005

Dear all,

today on 07.06.05, after nearly ten years of service, we disabled the
6bone POP in Germany.

The JOIN project will fall apart in a few weeks and we decided to stop
this service in time and way before the final end of 6bone.

While we still had about >60 users at the end, we believe that there is
little need for a 6bone POP. Luckily, todays production network is
quite sophisticated and much much more reliable than 6bone. The 6bone
is rather harmful for the acceptance of IPv6. as it _is_ a test network
and global IPv6 routing often happens in the production _and_ the 6bone
network at the same time. So we believe it is a good thing to remove
6bone as fast as possible to make IPv6 routing more robust and to give
IPv6 a more positive perception.

All, if you still peer with AS1275, please de-configure that peering.

All, prefix 3ffe:400::/24 should vanish from the global routing table.
If not, feel free to filter it.

So long,
     Christian

--
JOIN - IPv6 reference center    Christian Schild
A WWU project                   Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster