[6bone] .int / .arpa

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Feb 21 23:04:41 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> My somewhat aging Red Hat Linux 9 system doesn't do this:
[...]
> But bitlabels never enter the picture.
>
> I installed this system somewhere in the second half of 2003. I can't imagine
> they changed it to look up bitlabels after this...

In fact, they did -- this change was part of (misguided) glibc bugfix
errata :-(

* Thu Oct 30 2003 Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> 2.3.2-27.9.2
- fix getnameinfo and getaddrinfo with reverse IPv6 lookups
   (#101261)

> And why would there be a delay? BIND 9.3.0 doesn't support bitlabels so I
> assume it returns an error so there shouldn't be any delays.

The problem is that glibc resolver (I don't know of others) does not
react immediately when it gets a Format Error message -- but rather
waits for 10 seconds or so.

Yep, this has been reported to glibc folks as well ...