[6bone] The future

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Sep 9 01:34:27 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 10:26, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 9-sep-04, at 8:45, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > People saying they have IPv6 at comcast either are using some very
> > unknown beta service or are simply using 6to4, which should simply
> > 'work' when you type 'ipv6 install' on an XP box, given that it might
> > also do Teredo if 6to4 fails.
>
> So there are Teredo servers/relays/whatever now?

I said it works, I didn't say that it would perform, the same with 6to4,
it all depends on where the relay is (latency) and how crowded, how much
bandwidth it allows and never forget that there is also a path back...
and with the current state of the IPv6 routing tables towards such
addresses it might not be fast at all. But it all depends on conditions,
the moon, the sun alignment etc ;) But it *does* work, one gets
connectivity.

Afaik there are currently only a few number of (public) Teredo relays:
 - The Microsoft 'default' one, which is thus in the US
   (don't know if it is anycasted but afaik it isn't)
 - teredo.ipv6.6wind.com (http://www-rp.lip6.fr/teredo/)

And I guess, the third implementation, (Miredo /
http://www.simphalempin.com/dev/miredo/) will have some
relay somewhere too...

> I've found that if you want IPv6 support from an ISP you generally have
> to get them to hire you to install it.  :-)

That is also a solution, or just use one of the several tunnelbrokers
around the world. The biggest of which all support NAT's too ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen