[6bone] The future

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Sep 8 23:45:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 03:28, isabella wrote:
>  Hi,
>   Someone said something about DOCSIS not supporting IPv6 and that made me
> curious. Googling i found some people are saying YES! and others NO!. The
> most authoritive info was on cisco.com that says:
>   "Today, IPv6 services can be offered on Cisco UBR7200 Series cable routers
> by configuring IPv6 over IPv4 tunnels, but native IPv6 requires an update to
> the DOCSIS® specifications. As an active contributor to the Cable Labs
> efforts, Cisco will work with Cable Labs to incorporate IPv6 support into
> future DOCSIS specifications"

As mentioned there it is *not* in the specs, tunneling can be done by most
of them, especially as this is merely a bridge, but unfortunately most DOCSIS's
apparently don't do it per default the correct way thus you won't get native IPv6,
but then again, your ISP also needs to provide it too you...

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 03:53, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> >> How do they do that? Statically routing a /48 or /64?
> >
> > The only thing comcast 'does' is allow proto-41 to work.
> > The thing those people are using is called 6to4, which is yet another
> > tunneling mechanism and is nowhere near native IPv6.
> >
> > Afaik Comcast uses DOCSIS modems and those babys don't do IPv6.
>
> AFAIK, DOCSIS does layer 2 bridging, so it could work. Ever hopeful,
> I just now started up "rtsold" on the interface serviced by Comcast
> (Chicago), but alas, nothing answered the router solicitations.

People saying they have IPv6 at comcast either are using some very
unknown beta service or are simply using 6to4, which should simply
'work' when you type 'ipv6 install' on an XP box, given that it might
also do Teredo if 6to4 fails.

Greets,
 Jeroen