[6bone] Request: two 6bone pTLAs

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu May 13 03:43:04 PDT 2004

On 12-mei-04, at 21:15, Jørgen Hovland wrote:

>> Not everyone wants to run a DHCP client.

>> Directing traffic for a WKA address to a suitable DNS server(s) would
>> be far easier.

> You still need to actually _know_ if the network use WKA or not.
> Determing
> that manually or by probing is not an acceptable solution. If you want
> WKA
> to work automaticly, you would need a way to advertise on the network
> that
> "we use WKA here", like RA.

No, that's not the way it works. The well-known addresses would be
available for everyone everywhere, so any type of advertising or
probing is unnecessary.

If the local network runs one or more anycast instances, then the
requests will be handled locally. If not, the requests will find their
way to a more remote anycast instance. So as long as there is
connectivity to the IPv6 internet, the WKAs work.

> It would be better
> to use something that could advertise the whole package (ntp, proxy,
> wins,
> bootp, nntp, smtp etc) maybe even depending on who you are (eg mac).
> Something like dhcp. Well, at least that's what I think.

I just got a new cable internet connection to my home, and I'm not
about to use the cable ISP's ntp, proxy, wins, nntp and smtp servers.
(And what's bootp again? Did we use that in the '80s?) So I'm certainly
not going to switch services whenever I hook up my notebook somewhere
for a few hours. I'm sure some people will, but this is not something
everyone needs. A DNS resolver on the other hand, is.

Additionally, it's going to be YEARS before OSes and applications are
going to be able to configure themselves with all of the above using
DHCPv6 (if it ever happens).

Paul wrote:

>> I disagree that it requires two pTLAs. My feeling is that there
>> should absolutely _NOT_ be any public DNS recursive service offered
>> at the WKA because of the security implications of a widely used
>> public recursive DNS service.

Are you afraid people are going to run malicious DNS resolvers?

That's an interesting problem. However, note that any ISP already gets
to do this and much worse.

>> Even as an experimental address, it
>> should not be public, because of the risk of it becoming widely used.

>> The WKA should be confined internally to organisations, as a
>> convenience, should they wish to make use of it.

So what exactly would be the purpose of having them? What I want is to
be able to open up my laptop, have it autoconfigure an IPv6 address and
just use the IPv6 internet without having to think about it. This is
only going to work if the WKAs are reachable everywhere.

An alternative to globally reachable WKAs would be site-local WKAs. I
think Microsoft even uses those already. But waiting for the whole
world to implement those isn't very attractive and then there is the
whole site-local problem

[sorry about using up so much bandwidth, btw]