[6bone] Request: two 6bone pTLAs

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed May 12 10:36:45 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Jørgen Hovland wrote:

> Why should I expect less features with IPv6 than with IPv4?  I am
> sure you can hardcode anything.

I dont think Iljitsch is advocating that it not be possible to
manually configure your resolver.

> should hardcode addresses just because your router advertisement
> daemon doesn't scale?

RA does one thing, does it well. Resolver server addresses, etc, are
outside its scope.

> To the contrary, I find this very convincing.  DNS is an important
> service on the internet - but it is certainly not mandatory for
> every single networked system on earth.

I dont think Iljitsch is advocating that DNS be mandatory for all
systems. I think he's asking to expirement with having a well-known
address for recursive DNS service, so that hosts which _want_ to
resolve addresses can use (by prior knowledge) an address which is
guaranteed to work, while obviously still retaining ability to
manually configure in resolver addresses.

Imaginary configurability of implementation issues should have no
bearing on whether a WKA for recursive DNS service is a good idea or
not.

> I must say that I agree with Mr Liman on this. DHCP works today and I don't
> see why the concept shouldn't work tomorrow.

Not everyone wants to run a DHCP client.

Directing traffic for a WKA address to a suitable DNS server(s) would
be far easier.

I support Iljitsch's idea to try this as an experiment.

I disagree that it requires two pTLAs. My feeling is that there
should absolutely _NOT_ be any public DNS recursive service offered
at the WKA because of the security implications of a widely used
public recursive DNS service. Even as an experimental address, it
should not be public, because of the risk of it becoming widely used.

The WKA should be confined internally to organisations, as a
convenience, should they wish to make use of it.

regards,
	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?