[6bone] Ipv6 Enabled Web Site

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jul 21 14:38:29 PDT 2004

On 21-jul-04, at 23:00, Gav wrote:

> | With the above "listen" directive you should be able to do

> | telnet ::1 80

> Doesnt work for me, tells me it can not connect to the host (on port
> 23)
> connection failed.
> But it does that for localhost etc also.

Huh?!?

Why is your telnet using port 23 when you explicitly tell it to use
port 80? All the telnets I know take the port number as the second
argument (in the absense of any flags/options).

You wouldn't happen to run Linux, would you? (Although I doubt even
Linux would screw up this badly.)

> | Forget the virtual hosts for now.

> I have 5 other websites running so cant do that unfortunately.

First you make the apache listen on one or more address/port combos.
This is basic TCP stuff: if this part doesn't work, you're unreachable.
When this DOES work the virtual hosts come into play. But you can
easily see this because when you're at this stage you should see an
HTML page, although maybe not the one you intended.

But since you still have trouble with the TCP stuff, changing the
vitual host settings is meaningless at this point, so you should keep
them the way they should be to support your existing IPv4 sites.

BTW, this is what I used to have on my FreeBSD box:

[...]
Listen 83.149.65.1:80
Listen [3ffe:2500:310:2::1]:80
[...]
<VirtualHost 83.149.65.1 [3ffe:2500:310:2::1]>
[...]

But I changed this, it looks much cleaner now:

[...]
Listen 80
[...]
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.bgpexpert.com
ServerAlias bgpexpert.com ipv6.bgpexpert.com ipv4.bgpexpert.com
[...]