[6bone] Ipv6 Enabled Web Site

Colin Faber cfaber at fpsn.net
Wed Jul 21 10:48:33 PDT 2004

Well the first thing you need to do is run an httpd which provides IPv6
service. Apache 1.3 can support IPv6 by patching it, however I'd
recommend running Apache 2.0 -- as it's IPv6 support is native.

Secondly regarding SSI -- As SSI (as far as I remember) does not support
any kind of flow control functionality you'll need to script up
something in shell, perl, php, etc. that can be included in the SSI
document which checks the REMOTE_ADDR variable for the colons.

Something very simple in perl would be:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
print ($ENV{REMOTE_ADDR} =~ /[A-Fa-f0-9]{4}:/ ? 'Remote host supports
IPv6' : 'Remote host supports IPv4');

and including it in your ssi:

<!--#include virtual="/perlscript.pl"-->

Good luck.