[6bone] Ipv6 Enabled Web Site

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Jul 21 06:24:30 PDT 2004

Hi,
 	What kind of operating system you have? Can you provide the IPv6
address of your host, if you prefer in private, to check whether it is
reachable via IPv6, an then check web service via IPv6. Are you sure that
you have correct netstat, that can print IPv6 addresses? Can you try
"netstat -A inet6 -an" or "netstat -f inet6 -an" on Solaris?

 	Regarding the separate socket issues: The apache usually listen on
one socket for IPv4 and IPv6, contrary to e.g. sendmail or postfix, where
separate socket for IPv6 and IPv4.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Gav wrote:

> Janos,
>
> | Try simply:
> | Listen 80
> |
> | And check whether you have apache listening on IPv6 socket. If yes you
> | might have syntax problem.
> |
> | Did you look at this page?
> | http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/bind.html#ipv6
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | Janos Mohacsi
>
> Yes, Listen 80 works, and is what I had before , but from reading the page
> above (as I had before) it
> confused me into thinking I needed to separate sockets, one for v4 and one
> v6.
>
> doing a netstat -an , it shows no sockets are listening for IPv6.
>
> So all I am getting is v4 connections, even when I specify v6 addresses in
> the NameVirtualHost and VirtualHosts.

You have to specify only your servername:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerAdmin admin at yourdomain
     DocumentRoot serverroot
     ServerName your.domain
     ErrorLog /var/log/httpd-xxx-error_log
     CustomLog /var/log/httpd-xxx-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

Be careful: you have to have your.domain in your DNS otherwise apache will
fail.

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98