[6bone] e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa status ? (16 April 2004 - try #3)

Daniel Austin daniel at kewlio.net
Mon Apr 19 15:17:23 PDT 2004

Hi,

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:57:00PM +0100, Daniel Austin wrote:
>> As we're not eligible for a RIPE production block (or rather not a
>> /32), all that we currently have IS a 6bone block.
>
> Why not?  If you have a decent customer base (and are a LIR), you're
> eligible for a RIPE allocation.  "200 potential IPv6" customers is  what
> counts.

We're not a LIR.  So far, my only reason for us to become a LIR is to
obtain a RIPE IPv6 allocation.

> If you're too small (just a hand ful customers) a suballocation might be
> a workable alternative for it.

We have a sub allocation from BT - but of course it's not able to be
advertised in BGP.

> In any case: the 6bone *will* go away in about 2 years.  So you need to
> migrate to RIR space anyway.  The sooner, the better.

That's true, and we'll be a LIR by then - but until then... the 6bone is
what we have.  Why cripple something that still has some life left in it?
I'm still getting people asking for IPv6 tunnels (and customers asking for
blocks too) - while i understand that 6/6/2006 is a final deadline and
6bone may well be dead before then - it's still *2 years* away.

But hey, those are just my thoughts.  I'd like to think i'm not the only one.

--
With Thanks,

Daniel Austin,
Managing Director,