[6bone] Spammers already using 6bone ipv6 addresses?

Russell King rmk@arm.linux.org.uk
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:56:57 +0100

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:53:39PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Russell King wrote:
> > It seems that spammers may have started using IPv6 to spread their wares.
> > I've recently had SMTP connection attempts to one of my internal machines
> > (flint.arm.linux.org.uk) from 3ffe:0bc0:8000:0000:8000:0000:d582:a322.
>
> But what did they send to you, was it a valid email or was it spam?
> Headers svp ;)

I have no idea - flint is firewalled off (since it doesn't accept public
SMTP connections), and I spotted a load of activity from that IPv6 address.
(If it were just one attempt, I'd have ignored it as just some random
noise.)

My purpose for sending this mail isn't to complain about it - its to make
the site admins aware that their MTA might be in use for purposes which
they didn't intend.

> And in DNS, see host -t aaaa -l arm.linux.org.uk :)
> Eeky, 6to4 addresses, why don't you use a TB?
> Or is it sufficient for what you use it for?

I used to be part of the compendium pTLA until the pTLA was disconnected,
so now I'm relegated to using 6to4.  6to4 gives me a stable set of IPv6
addresses (ones which are likely to persist for years) and restores my
IPv6 connectivity.

Note that I don't particularly want to get into the politics of 6bone vs
6to4 stuff.  All I want is stable IPv6 connectivity, and 6to4 seems to
give that to me without relying on the politics of many intermediate
individuals.

> You should copy viagenie (CC'd) as everybody can register
> random data into the 6bone at the moment.

Thanks.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)	http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/
Linux kernel maintainer of: