[6bone] non-global address space for IXs (was: 2001:478:: as /48)

Arien Vijn arien+6bone@ams-ix.net
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:18:38 +0200

On maandag, september 8, 2003, at 02:14 AM, John Fraizer wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Arien Vijn wrote:
>
>> There is a reason why IX space should not be exported, namely to
>> prevent routing issues. Since eBGP learned routes are better than a
>> iBGP learned routes.
>>
>> Arien
>
> And IGP routes (IE: Your peering interface is going to be a connected
> route to the IX address space) beat EGP routes for a reason.  You're
> not
> running an IGP for what reason?

Happen to work for an IXP and we get complains about this as peering
LAN prefixes do leak out from time to time. That is the reason why we
announce the peering LAN prefix with the no-export community string.
But as Stephen Stuart rightly pointed out: networks should not rely on
announcements of others.

However nobody seems to have an answer on the question in the first
part of my posting. Which I regard as more important then a well known
issue like the one above.

Arien