[6bone] non-global address space for IXs (was: 2001:478:: as /48)

John Fraizer tvo@EnterZone.Net
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:41:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 07:19:26PM -0400, John Fraizer wrote:
> > Sorry Gert.  You don't router IX space and you wind up with the same
> > issues as are presented by the boneheads who use RFC1918 address space on
> > VISABLE links in V4 space.  *EVERY* link in the chain has to be able to
> > participate for PMTU-D to properly function.
>
> Reachability of addresses (because they're visible in the routing
> table) has NOTHING to do with the function of PMTU-D.
>
> PMTU-D has those addresses in the *source* of the packet, not in the
> destination.
>
> Source IP Filtering (as in "dropping packets sourced from there") will
> break PMTU-D.  Route filtering (as in "not knowing where to send
> answer packets to", which isn't needed here) won't.

Gert,

If you're not running RPF, I have to ask, Why Not?  Do you just want
desperately to be the source of spoofed traffic?

RPF, combined with IX address space not being in the routing table will
break PMTU-D.

--
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc