[6bone] non-global address space for IXs (was: 2001:478:: as /48)

John Fraizer tvo@EnterZone.Net
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 20:56:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> You are talking about a route server which I never mentioned.
> Maybe an example makes it clear what I mean in JunOS style
> from the top of my head, didn't test it as I don't have a
> bedside juniper </sarcasm>:
>
> interface lo0 unit 0 family inet6 address 2001:db8:2000::1/64;
> interface fe-0/1/0 unit 0 family inet6 address 2001:db8::1/64;
> protocols bgp group MyPeer {
> 	type external;
> 	family inet6 unicast;
> 	peer-as 65535l
> 	neighbour 2001:db8::2;
> 	next-hop 2001:db8:2000::1;
> }
>
> Tada, BGP peering established, if the other side sets it up too.

Tell me... How does that happen?  How does the peering session come up
when the route to 2001:db8::2 is "connected via lo0" and even if it COULD
come up, how does 2001:db8::2 know how to get back to your "nexthop" of
2001:db8:2000::1?  Static routes on both sides?  Ahhh...  Every
participated at an exchange point with 100 peers?  Guess what?  This is
why route-servers were created to begin with.  Who wants to join an
exchange point and then have to add 100+ static routes to their peering
router to make things work?

> 2001:db8::/64 == IX prefix
> 2001:db8:2000::/64 is out of the providers space, should be
> a seperate TLA but there is only one documentation /32.
> All traffic going out of this box will have a source IP of
> 2001:db8:2000::1 which is globally reachable. Only the
> peers will talk to each other using 2001:db8::/64.

How is it that the peers are going to talk to each other on 2001:db8::/64
when you've got the 2001:db8::/64 bound up on lo0 interfaces and the
routers know that to get to any address in 2001:db8::/64 they go via lo0?

Again, please understand the technology.  Using your example, there is
absolutely no reason for the EP to even have its own address space.  Then
again, using your example, there wouldn't be very many peers at the EP,
especially when it becomes more of a pain to maintain peering every time a
new member joins the EP.

As for why 2001:478:: isn't announced as a /32 to bypass filters, it is
because there isn't any one common network at every site using
2001:478:: address space for exchange point addressing.

Playing on the 6bone and running a real network are two different
things.  For the matter, attending policy meetings and running a network
are two different things.  Don't confuse one with the other.

As for a URL or book you can read to learn, check out IP routing for
dummies.  This is very basic stuff.

> Thank you for showing you are a real american :)

American is a proper noun and I'll thank you to use the appropriate
capitolization.  *A*merican.

--
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc