[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:11:52 -0700 (PDT)

% On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, John Fraizer wrote:
% > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jeroen Massar wrote:
% >
% > > I know who Bill is and what he does, but I don't understand
% > > why in ARIN space a company uses it's *own* /32 as IX prefixes
% > > and then suddenly expects it to be handled like the *dedicated*
% > > IX prefixes of which there is one in each RIR.
% >
% > How about because there was at least ONE v6 exchange point in the US
% > running on address space from 2001:478:: BEFORE ARIN decided to to make
% > use of 2001:504:: for this purpose.
%
% Renumber.  It's trivial to set up identical BGP sessions with the new
% addresses and retire the old when your peer configures the BGP session in
% turn.  After all have done that, remove the old prefix.
%

	I would, but ARIN does not want to.  That being said,
	Folks who want choice in where to get blocks for exchanges
	have that choice.

--bill