[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:12:42 -0700 (PDT)

% > I, on the other hand, do not agree with NOT announcing this block.
%
% So suddenly 2001:478::/32 is handled as an IX Prefix?
% Thus we got a new so-proclaimed RIR in the US then making up
% their own policies?

	Er, no.  Not suddenly. The delegation was made and justified
	with the expectation that it would be used for IXes.
	EP.NET is not an RIR, self-proclaimed or otherwise.

% 2001:478::/32 is a *normal* TLA and it should be handled as such.

	Like all the other TLAs.

% The owner could request people to not filter it on more specifics
% but they CAN'T demand it. As there is no /32 being announced the
% owner of this TLA can simply expect that they are not reachable
% globally. The same thing goes for IX prefixes, filter on allocation
% boundaries. Thus check http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html

	No expectation of demand. No expectation of "reachability"
	There is the expectation that intermediate ISPs will not
	do something stupid and proxy aggregate this prefix.  That
	should not happen.

% Every ISP has a choice to filter or to not to filter, it's your net.

	Amen.

%  Jeroen

--bill