[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:08:42 -0700 (PDT)

% I know who Bill is and what he does, but I don't understand
% why in ARIN space a company uses it's *own* /32 as IX prefixes
% and then suddenly expects it to be handled like the *dedicated*
% IX prefixes of which there is one in each RIR.

	well, the EP delegation predates any of the RIR "micro"
	allocations.  And the notice that this was the expected
	behaviour for this prefix was annoucned in 2001, 2002 and
	now in 2003 to this list.

% And the fun part is that there is no announcement of the /32
% but the whole world suddenly is expected to just allow /48's
% and other stuff from it. Is everybody suddenly going to do this?

	I did not impune that "the whole world" should allow
	/48s.  The expectation is that if you see anything from
	this prefix at all, it should be as /48s. Anything smaller
	is either a configuration error or a hijack.

% Bypassing established policies and thinking up whatever they
% want? In that case we can just start our own IANA and start
% giving out IPv6 and making policies. It is a global internet
% and everybody is equal abiding the policies. If the policy
% is wrong then we'll have to amend the policy.

	Use of 2001:0478::/32 pre-dates RIR policies.

% Greets,
%  Jeroen

--bill