[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:58:56 -0700 (PDT)

%
% > this prefix has/is being carved up into /48 and /64 subnets for
% > use at exchange points and other infrastructure support services.
%
% > Do not expect to see it aggregated.
%
% I have a question: do we need to make such a prefix assigned to
% an exchange point reachable globally?

	No, but as Stuart explains later, it can be very useful
	in diagnosis  of transit issues.  For the purposes of
	non-IX use, e.g. infrastructure support, I would like to
	see the /48s routable.

% In order to make traceroute happy we may need to establish a DNS zone
% for reverse lookup. But such a DNS server does not have to be on the
% IX.

	True enough.

% Akira Kato, WIDE Project
% This discussion is also applicable to IPv4...

--
--bill