[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 20:57:48 +0200

John Fraizer wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> > Bill Manning wrote:
> >
> > >  	Something for folks to remember.
> > >

> > > From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
> > > Subject: 2001:478::  as /48
> > > To: 6bone@ISI.EDU
> > > Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:16:40 -0700 (PDT)
> > >
> > > this prefix has/is being carved up into /48 and /64 subnets for
> > > use at exchange points and other infrastructure support services.
> >
> > IX Prefixes by the RIR's come out of:
> >  - 2001:7f8::/32
> >  - 2001:504::/32
> >  - 2001:7fa::/32
> >
> > Which RFC/draft/... made this prefix so special ?
> >

> I guess you didn't notice who had sent the message, or his
> email address,
> and are not familiar with what Bill does.
>
> Take a look at http://www.ep.net/
>
> Bill manages the address space for MANY, MANY, MANY exchange points.
>
> [whois.arin.net]
>
> OrgName:    EP.NET, LLC.
> OrgID:      V6EP

I know who Bill is and what he does, but I don't understand
why in ARIN space a company uses it's *own* /32 as IX prefixes
and then suddenly expects it to be handled like the *dedicated*
IX prefixes of which there is one in each RIR.

And the fun part is that there is no announcement of the /32
but the whole world suddenly is expected to just allow /48's
and other stuff from it. Is everybody suddenly going to do this?
Bypassing established policies and thinking up whatever they
want? In that case we can just start our own IANA and start
giving out IPv6 and making policies. It is a global internet
and everybody is equal abiding the policies. If the policy
is wrong then we'll have to amend the policy.

Check http://www.ripe.net/ipv6/ipv6allocs.html at the bottom:

ARIN    10 (including all MAE's and NYIIX and EQUINIX)
RIPE    33
APNIC    9
LACNIC   0
AFRINIC  0