[6bone] link local for tunnel endpoints

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:47:14 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Dan Reeder wrote:
[...]
> Now because my local router and the remote router also have valid 2001::
> global addressing (on mine for the /64 on another interface, on the remote
> for other purposes), so traceroutes back and forth are going through just
> fine. I realise that every device needs a globally reachable ip set on it
> somewhere, even on a loopback interface, to be reachable.
> But are there any operational down sides or gotchas that would prove this
> type of addressing to be unsafe or impractical for use?

A few minor points I'm aware of -- should not be show-stoppers:
 - when doing a traceroute, you can see which nodes the packets go
through, not which interfaces (the latter may be interesting e.g. with
backbone routers and their multiple interfaces).
 - you can't ping the point-to-point address remotely, meaning, if the
other end-point has hosed its static route towards you, you can't isolate
the problem except from your border router, pinging the link-local
address.

But as said, these are pretty minor.  In many cases, the link locals
should be enough..