[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Jørgen Hovland jorgen@hovland.cx
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:56:09 +0100

> Haesu wrote:
>
> > I wanna see a single home user who will actually *use* even
> > 50% of 18446744073709551616 addresses.
>
> I do, as I got two subnets here:
> 2 * (2^64) = 36893488147419103232 IP's in use.

I'm sure he meant ip addresses in use, not putting a /64 net on your
interface.

> And I can plugin *any* apparatus in both my wired and
> my wireless network and tadaaaaaa it WORKS, global connectivity!!!!!! :)

%> Tim Chown wrote:
%>It is the smallest mainly because of stateless autoconif requiring /64
(see
%>RFC2462).   Stateless autoconf requires this.

Not trying to start a huge discussion, but:
DHCP does the same thing with a smaller prefix, and also gives you the
correct dns-settings and/or bootp-options ++. Since you obviously think you
can get 2^64 devices on a single lan, dhcp can reject new devices an ip
address if there are none availible.

> > Start assigning IP's to every object in your house... i.e.
> > fridge, watch, clock, cell phone, 3g, TV, playstation,
> > computers, lights, microwave, coffeemaker, toilet, etc etc,
> > etc et al. and I doubt even with all that, it comes close to
> > half of 18446744073709551616.
>
> You are assuming IPv4 style addressing, don't think like that.
> There are 65535 subnets per endsite.
>

> You have to realize that in the future it might be that a
> house gets totally routed, eg subnets for:
>  - the kitchen
>  - the living room
>  - the first floor
>  - the second floor
>  - the toilet
>  - the molly's room
>  - the johnny's room
>  - ...

I know by now how much you love saving bandwidth, Jeroen. I have been
thinking a bit about that:
IPv6 is 128 bits and IPv4 32.
If we used an "ipv4-stylish" allocation plan for ipv6, and dropped the extra
bits we saved by not wasting excessive space, how much money would your
company save ?

Lets say we save 64 bits:
Thats 8 bytes per packet.
256000 pps gives 2048kb per second ~ 20mbit = 800-5000++€ month

> Don't think in IPv4 style, preservative, allocation, please...

If we did, you could get 20mbit free.
But we aren't, so just ignore this.

Joergen Hovland ENK