[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:20:46 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 03:54:40PM +0100, Jørgen Hovland wrote:
> In some scenarios, we use /127 or /128 on p2p-links (the transport
> layer/protocol is irrelevant) because we do not want other third parties to
> communicate by grabbing an availible IP, or we do not want the other second
> party to be able to use more than 1 IP. This is a security concern we
> consider important. Does this mean that we have to use IP-filters in the
> future to setup p2p-links if the standard becomes /64 ?

The standard *is* /64 (the RFC says so).  Just to clarify.

But that's not my point.  It's more curiousity: why are you doing this,
that is, "restrict that line to a single IP address"?  I mean, the whole
point of v6 is "the amount of addresses available is HUGE".

Is this some sort of "customer must hook only a single device to your
service" product (which can be circumvented by application proxies,
of course)?

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  57785 (56883)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299