[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:51:33 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 09:12:48AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> We just dedided that we want to end the address with either "1" or "2"
> (we also have a methodology to determine which end of the link is given
> which number), /112 gives the last 16 bits to a subnet, so this is
> possible, like:
>
> 3ffe:ffff:ffff::f00:{1,2}/112
> 3ffe:ffff:ffff::f01:{1,2}/112

This is why I use /124s - so all my transit networks end in
  "...:xxx1/124"
  "...:xxx2/124"

- just convenience, and no fundamental difference to the /112.

Nevertheless I want to point out that there seems to be concepts in the
works (IPSEC with encryption based on the lower /64 bits of the IPv6
address) that might result in the need to renumber ptp links done with
/126s, /124s, /112s or whatever.

There was a big and heated discussion on the 6bone list a year ago or so,
so for those interested in this matter, read it up in the archive!

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  57785 (56883)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299