[6bone] 6bone pTLA 3FFE:401C::/32 allocated to T-NET

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:20:10 +0100

David Kessens [mailto:david@iprg.nokia.com] wrote:

> Jeroen,
>
> At 01:56 AM 11/25/2003 +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> >
> > If wanted, I could do some cleaning in the 6bone database. The plan
> > for doing it and the tools are near-ready. If this is wanted, please
> > give a notice and I'll start working on it. Would be a good thing to
> > have a clean 6bone database, which then at least would show people
> > that it is being looked after.
>
> I personally think that it is not worth the effort. The best way to
> encourage people to use the registry is to make it easy for people to
> register. This same requirement also causes it to make it easy for
> people to register garbage. If you don't register a proper mail
> address, people won't be able to reach you when you have a problem.

<SNIP>

That is ofcourse true, but seeing the number of unresponsive pTLA's
that I have notified over the last year of rather odd configurations,
take Nortel's dually announced prefix for instance (3ffe:1300::/24)
and AS10318 who simply cannot be contacted, it is to differ if the
data has any value and if there is still someone active in those places.
Fortunatly many 'peerings' have been stopped, also because they could
not be reached by their peering partners. They apparently are not
following the guidelines that they signed up for when requesting the pTLA's.
It is not to harrass somebody, but to point out that there is some
fault in the system and that they should fix it making it a better place.
It could also be a software bug, if we don't find and fix it now it
will probably never be fixed or wreak havoc in a couple of years.

I suddenly do have to note that I see changed contact data for the NORTEL
ipv6-site, let's give them some mail. Something got woken there but
didn't take time to respond to this mailinglist.

Having a mnt-lower on the prefixes is thus my primary concern actually
as now anybody can register any prefix and get away with it, one can
even overwrite data without much trouble. The fun part is that you
cannot remove data. Thus if you own a pTLA anybody can insert data
lower than you and you as the owner of the pTLA can't remove it
without contacting you (David), not that it will happen much but it
may occur, for instance when a new pTLA gets allocated and the prefix
is already taken. Any announced prefixes will indeed be caught by
amongst others Merit's 6bone routing report and also by GRH so that
should not pose much of a problem.

Greets,
 Jeroen