[6bone] link local for tunnel endpoints

Todd T. Fries todd@fries.net
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 07:26:08 -0600

I use this successfully with my OpenBSD links.  As pointed out to me
several years back by itojun, this is quite fun to setup a v6 tunnel
when the remote tunnel end is running route6d:

- ifconfig gif0 tunnel <local v4 address> <remote v4 address>

- ifconfig fxp0 inet6 <global v6 address>

- route6d

- ping6 www.kame.net ;-)

route6d automatically assigns the link-local address presuming the remote
route6d is advertising via the tunnel.

I admit I haven't tried zebra, and need to really try quagga, but I've been
encouraged to use that as route6d has some rather brainded exit() clauses,
causing headaches for machines .. (my headaches were for a machine with
interfaces that went up and down a lot) ..

And in the end, nothing prevents you from manually assigning the link-local.

Some tunnel providers, he.net for example, require you to assign your tunnel
global v6 IP's, as they ping them to verify you are `still up'.  Other
tunnel providers, freenet6.net for example, are perfectly happy with you
ignoring the tunnel global v6 IP's and simply using link-local.

The real constraint (as explained in other emails) is the requirement that
both ends must have a global v6 address on _some_ interfaces, not necessarily
the tunnel.
--
Todd Fries .. todd@fries.net

Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                    VOIP: 1.636.410.0632
http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com                Land: 1.405.810.2918
"..in support of free software solutions."   Mobile: 1.405.203.6124

Key fingerprint: 37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
            Key: http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt

Penned by Dan Reeder on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:49:56PM +1000, we have: