[6bone] RE: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Update on IPv6 filter recommendation

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Fri, 23 May 2003 09:50:54 +0200

| 	recognising this as a basic feature of internetworking, one would
| 	hope that a consistant suite of addressing guidelines would be
| 	applicable, regardless of the state of "connectedness".
This is an important point in my opinion. IPv{46} addresses are a global
resource that should be distributed as such. IPv4 adresses are allocated
to private networks all the time. Having a connection to the rest is of
no concern (and is nowhere stated in any policy to be of any concern).

IPv6 addresses will be used for much more than 'just the Internet'. It
can be argued that the 2001::/16 prefix SHOULD be used for 'just the
Internet', but then still I do not see the point in forcing any kind of
connection to one or all other Internet citizens.

groet,
Pim
--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl